|Grant Wood, "Fall Plowing," 1931|
When I read Francis Schaeffer’s Pollution and the Death of Man in the 1970s, I didn’t have to ask that question. In that decade, Schaeffer was a lone prophetic voice—a role that the eccentric, be-knickered apologist often adopted—calling evangelical Protestants to pay attention to their divine call to care for God’s creation and protect it from the ravages of pollution.
What made Schaeffer stand out in 1970 was the bare fact that he wrote about threats to the environment from a conservative Protestant perspective. If he had lived to see the first decade of the 21st century, I think he would have been amazed and pleased at the outpouring of volumes on environmental concerns from evangelical authors and evangelical presses. (When I have finished reading Ball's book, I'll let you know what makes it distinctive.)
One promising young voice, still near the beginning of his career, is our friend Ben Lowe. With a degree in environmental studies from Wheaton College, Ben has worked as director of outreach for A Rocha USA and as co-coordinator of Renewal, a grassroots network equipping students for creation care. After a brief run at politics, Ben is now director of young adult ministries at the Evangelical Environmental Network.
We asked Ben to give readers of The Neff Review a bibliography of current evangelical titles on the environment. Here is Ben's list of books published in the past three years—an abundant harvest from the seed Schaeffer planted just 40 years ago.
- Ball, Jim. Global Warming and the Risen Lord: Christian Discipleship and Climate Change (EEN 2010)
- Bianchi, Tracey. Green Mama: The Guilt-Free Guide to Helping You and Your Kids Save the Planet (Zondervan 2010)
- Bouma-Prediger, Steven. For the Beauty of the Earth: A Christian vision for Creation Care, 2nd ed. (Baker 2010)
- Brown, Edward. Our Father's World: Mobilizing the Church to Care for Creation (IVP 2008)
- Harris, Peter. Kingfisher's Fire: A Story of Hope for God’s Earth (Monarch 2008)
- Hayhoe, Katharine, and Andrew Farley. A Climate for Change: Global Warming Facts for Faith-Based Decisions (Faith Words 2009)
- Lowe, Ben. Green Revolution: Coming Together to Care for Creation (IVP 2009)
- McMinn, Lisa, and Megan Neff. Walking Gently on the Earth: Making Faithful Choices About Food, Energy, Shelter, and More (IVP 2010)
- Merritt, Jonathan. Green Like God: Unlocking the Divine Plan for Our Planet (Faith Words 2010)
- Sabin, Scott. Tending to Eden: Environmental Stewardship for God’s People (Judson Press 2010)
- Sleeth, Emma. It's Easy Being Green: One Student's Guide to Serving God and Saving the Planet (Zondervan 2008)
- Sleeth, Matthew. The Gospel According to the Earth: Why the Good Book is a Green Book (HarperOne 2010)
- Sleeth, Nancy. Go Green, Save Green: A Simple Guide to Saving Time, Money, and God’s Green Earth (Tyndale 2009)
- Spencer, Nick, Virginia Vroblesky, and Robert White. Christianity, Climate Change, and Sustainable Living (Brazos 2009)
- Toly, Noah, and Daniel Block, eds. Keeping God’s Earth: The Global Environment in Biblical Perspective (IVP 2010)
- Van Dyke, Fred. Between Heaven and Earth: Christian Perspectives on Environmental Protection (Praeger 2010)